Terms + Conditions

Cancellations


Upon receiving your order, we will generally start working on your portrait the same day. If for any reason you would like to cancel your order you must do so within 12 hours. We will retain 30% of the purchase price with the remaining 70% refunded to you. No product will be delivered. 


Changes / Revisions to final artwork


When the portrait is complete, we will email a digital file to review. If you would like changes, you can advise us at this stage. We provide up to 5 revisions however this may be increased at our own discretion for large custom orders. If we cannot resolve the issue with the portrait, you can choose to have a 50% refund


Changes / Revisions to delivered prints 


Upon receiving the approved portrait you will have 14 days to contact us about any changes required. Once the portrait has been revised, it will be sent in digital format only. You will be responsible for any additional printing expenses. 


Damage during delivery


In the unlikely event your print or merchandise is damaged during delivery, please send us a photo of the packaging and contents to hello@izzyandotis.com  


We will cover the replacement cost of any prints or merchandise damaged during delivery


Artwork displayed on our website


We retain copyright on all artwork we produce and reserve the right to use all portraits on our website, social media pages and our own promotional material. 


We will not reproduce customers portraits for sale or allow anyone else to use your portraits for profit. 


Customer emails in whole or in part may also be used as a testimonial on our website and social media pages. If customers do not wish to have their portraits or emails displayed on our webstie or social media pages, please let us know upon ordering. 


If you have any questions regarding our terms and conditions please get in touch with us via our contact page.